A new financial year means it's time to shake the receipts out of your shoebox and sort out your tax return, and it also means new budgets for 2018-19 handed down by our local councils.
Council budgets have to cover everything from roads and rubbish to rebuilding after disasters, and all our local councils are putting a hefty bankroll towards flood mitigation, disaster preparedness, and rebuilding roads and infrastructure after cyclone Debbie. So, is there any coin left for arts and culture? Let's have a look.
- $31.5 million for the new Rockhampton Art Gallery over the next three years, subject to funding from state and federal government.
- Murals in Moura and Lawgi, with funds earmarked from the state government's Works for Queensland budget in 2017-18.
- Biloela Community Resource Centre upgrade, subject to external funding.
- $12.2 million to parks and recreation areas
- $2.8 million to community development
- $1.3 million to libraries
We'll add information for the Livingstone, Gladstone and Isaac councils when their new budgets are online.